Lightning Mallets Bay Spring Regatta


3 Teams of Montreal sailors made the quick trip to the Vermont side of Lake Champlain to race in the Lightning Fleet 301's Spring Regatta. Some pretty big talent races in that fleet, even legends of the class. Here's Stephen Waldie's perspective of the racing:

"The weekend was lots of fun and the weather on Saturday was a perfect 7-12 knots and sunny. Sunday there was no racing ( no wind). It was my first regatta in the new boat so I am still trying to get some of the rigging running properly. Considering my short time in the Lightning I was pleased with my result. I was often mixing with the top 5 boats in the fleet and felt my speed around the course was in the top 1/3 of the fleet. Now, all I need to do is get my head out of the boat.

"I am really loving the Lightning fleet and do not regret my decision to buy a boat. They are a great bunch of people. Very helpful and friendly - and the free beer at regattas is nice too!

"I heard that it had been pretty heavy in Montreal. Good thing the Shark loves big breeze! It looks like the Shark fleet is regaining momentum in the area. My parents owned one for several years and always say what a great boat it is.

"I am sailing the NOD with Pierre and Toby (Shark, Nuisance) - will I see you there?

Cheers,
Stephen

Thanks for the news Stephen! I've sailed the NOD (Nepean One Design) Regatta many times and have fond memories of it when in the Tanzer class. I haven't raced the Shark enough to sort things out yet, so will have to pass. When we get around the race course without an incident it will be more fun. I know all about the travails of running rigging! I am envious of Stephen and the others who will be in Ottawa that w/e. Jen is highly talented on foredeck of the Shark "Nuisance, and much easier to look at then Stephen. Still, I fully expect Stephen will fill the significant void and"Nuisance" will be at the top end of the racing. I really like the Lightning too and hope that Stephen, Jessica, et al give the class some increased traction here! - Ralph, Montreal Sailing

Photo from RStLYC archive.

Full Results

Comments

Popular Posts